For many people, quintessential Greece is what comes to mind when they think of the beautiful island of Santorini, the most southern of the Cyclades islands. The island is actually made up of 5 islands, with Santorini being joined by Thirasia and Aspronisi and the volcanic islands of Palea Kameni and Nea Kameni. With stunning scenery all around you, Santorini really is an ideal place to take your TEFL course.
During the volcanic eruptions of 1866-1870, the area was visited by Jules Verne. He then immortalized Santorini in his books “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea” and “The Mysterious Island’. Here captain Nemo and his crew watched the famous eruptions. The Caldera View is one of the most breathtaking sites in the entire world.
The Santorini Caldera view includes 85-meter cliffs with many of the islands villages having enviable views of the sea beyond. The view came at a heavy cost however, as the cliffs are in fact the walls of a huge volcanic crater caused by a huge eruption in 3000 BC. This was responsible for the demise of the Minoan civilization.
As expected for Greece, Santorini is steeped in history, with numerous places of archaeological interest. These include the Venetian fortress at Pirgos and the ruins of Ancient Thira, Akrotiri. The unique Santorinian-style creates unique accommodation and as well as the aesthetic and historical plus points you will find stunning beaches with a whole host of beach sports and activities available. You may also be lucky enough to be in town for the picturesque religious festival which takes place at the monastery of the Prophet Elijah, found on the highest peak of Santorini.
Why complete a TEFL course in Santorini?
- Visit the semi active crater of the volcanic island.
- Take in the breathtaking view of the caldera face from the sea on a sunset sailing excursion.
- Amazing SCUBA diving off Perissa.
- Eat a meal against the backdrop of the sunset in the charming village of Oia.
- See the preserved Pompeii-style Minoan village of Akrotiri.
- Sample the wines and take a multimedia historical view of the island at the Boutaris Winemakers in Megalohori.
- Numerous historical sites of interest including the Old and New Historical Museums of Fira.
- See why Santorini is included in Patricia Schultz’s 1,000 places to see before you die and why the poet Elytis described Caldera as “a volcano you can drink”.
Our TEFL international centre is perfectly situated just two miles from the main town of Thira, in Messaria and within reach of all the required amenities. Messaria is one of the most picturesque villages in Santorini, with its Cycladic-style houses and a number of neo-classical buildings all set amongst beautiful vineyards.
The Santorini TEFL center is ideally located as you can be in the island’s main town of Thira or one of the many superb beaches within a few minutes. You can also find supermarkets, restaurants and transport links nearby.
Our TEFL centre itself is in the centre of Messaria in a small private school of English. All of your studies as well as your teaching practice will be done here. The school has all the required facilities, including a computer room and interactive whiteboards. Your teaching practice will take place with small groups of local people which will provide you with the real teaching experience required to prepare you for your first teaching job.
Why choose Santorini?
- The opportunity to teach real Greek learners of English, perfect for gaining real classroom experience.
- Highly experienced teacher trainers.
- Plenty of individual support and feedback, with a maximum of five students per trainer.
- We have great links with employers in Greece to help you find TEFL positions in Santorini and the rest of Greece.
- A worldwide network of partners to help you find TEFL positions worldwide.
- Professional support and guidance throughout your TEFL career.
- A range of accommodation options, regardless of your preference and budget.
All kinds of accommodation options are available for your TEFL course in Santorini. These include hotels, hostels and apartments in the town centre or closer to the beach. A factor to take into account is that accommodation is much less expensive outside the popular summer season.
Recommended options include private and dorm rooms in hostels, as well as hotels and apartments. Your individual preference and budget, the amount of people travelling with you and the time of year will help determine which option is best for you.
A hotel we recommend is in the Karterados area, which has a host of tavernas and small shops within its traditional square. Karterados can be found between Fira, the main town of Santorini and Messaria, where our TEFL training centre is located. Each of these locations can be reached within a ten-minute walk, though there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. Rates for the hotel start at 20 euros per night.
We also have accommodation options in Messaria itself and in Kamiri, a nearby beach resort offering accommodation of various types at reasonable prices. These start at around 25 euros per night, though this includes breakfast.
You can also find inexpensive accommodation near the beach on Perissa, around five miles away. For 25 nights the single occupancy price is 287 euros. There is a reduced rate for sharing a room.
Please check out our other course locations if you wish to attend a course before this one becomes available...
The total price is divided into: deposit and balance.
The deposit may be paid via a) credit card b) Paypal c) wire transfer d) Western Union.
The balance of the course fee must be paid by cash, PayPal or bank transfer directly to the training center on the first day of the course.