First we will look at the different levels of study currently available and how they relate to the world of TEFL qualifications. Taking the UK as an example, there are nine qualification levels; examples of actual UK qualifications at each level are given below:
- Entry Level Certificate (ELC)
- Skills for Life
- GCSE - grades 3, 2, 1 or grades D, E, F, G
- Level 1 National Vocational Qualification (NVQ)
- GCSE - grades 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 or grades A*, A, B, C
- Level 2 NVQ
- A Level
- International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Level 3 NVQ
- Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE)
- Higher National Certificate (HNC)
- Level 4 NVQ
- Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
- Higher National Diploma (HND)
- Level 5 NVQ
- Degree with honors - for example Bachelor of the Arts (BA) hons, Bachelor of Science (BSc) hons
- Level 6 NVQ
- Ordinary degree without honors
- Integrated master’s degree, for example Master of Engineering (MEng)
- Master’s degree, for example Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MSc)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Doctorate, for example Doctor of Philosophy (PhD or DPhil)
- Level 8 Diploma
From the above, we can see that a degree in TEFL/TESOL is at level 6 and is therefore a very high level of study in the English teaching world. A few examples of such Level 6 courses are shown below:
What can these degrees be used for?
If you have a TEFL/TESOL degree the most obvious use of it would be to teach EFL. With a degree in TEFL you will have access to some of the highest paying jobs in the industry.
The following are some examples of monthly English teaching salaries in the Middle East:
- UAE: $1,800 - $5,500 USD per month
- Qatar: $1,600 - $4,500 USD per month
- Bahrain $1,500 - $3,000 USD per month
As the cost of living is also relatively low and accommodation and airfare packages are often included with jobs in these countries, the potential for savings is also very high.
Other jobs that will become available with your degree
Management roles such as a Director of Studies in an ESL situation
Management positions tend to take you further from the classroom as you move up the management ladder. If you are looking for a change from the classroom, moving into a management role may be a good option.
Consulting and advisory positions
There are many opportunities to act in consulting and advisory roles in both governmental and non-governmental organizations. Look in professional papers for opportunities or search online.
Writing and editing for publications such as magazines
You can get into this area straight away by posting material on education blog sites, of which there are literally thousands. Build up a portfolio of published material before searching for the many opportunities in this area.
Curriculum development takes place at every level of teaching worldwide. From individual classrooms to National Educational Planning and implementation, curriculum developers with good subject knowledge and wide educational experiences are highly sought after.