Although teaching English to adults is common all over the world, teaching English to young learners makes up a large proportion of the worldwide TEFL industry and is actually one of its fastest growing sectors. This specialized form of teaching requires several different skills and techniques in order to create the environment necessary to deliver an effective teaching program. With this in mind, our CTEYL course has been designed to provide you with these skills, therefore improving your teaching ability and your employment prospects.
When teaching English to adults it is usually true that they have freely chosen to attend your class, something that cannot always be said when teaching young learners. To address this difference, this course looks at educational theories, teaching methodologies and specific activities that can be drawn upon to keep your students interested and motivated in the classroom.
CTEYL Target Group
- This course is designed for those who are already TEFL/TESOL or equivalent certified.
- The course is designed for teachers who are currently working or intend to work within the field of teaching English to young learners.
- No previous experience or training in young learners’ education is required to complete this course.
If you choose our tutor support option, you will receive the support and assistance of our experienced tutors throughout the length of the course. You can contact a tutor whenever you have any problems or questions, and they will get back to you via email within one working day.
CTEYL Course Units
- Unit 1: Course Introduction
- Unit 2: Teaching and Learning
- Unit 3: Course Development
- Unit 4: Materials
- Unit 5: Teaching Themes
- Unit 6: Professional Development
- Summative Task
This course follows the same online structure as our main 60-hour and 120-hour TEFL courses. Once you have fully studied the material for each unit, your understanding of it will be assessed before you move on to the next unit. On completing the test you should check your answers and review your work. When you have successfully completed all units, by scoring 75% or more on average, you will then complete a final task.
CTEYL Course Aims
- Use industry standard terminology to discuss and evaluate the process of teaching English to young learners.
- Develop a course syllabus that targets the specific needs of their own students.
- Create effective lesson plans with clear ideas on how to deliver them to different student groups in an engaging manner.
- Choose resources and create materials that are suitable for young learners.
- Design assessment strategies for use before, during and after a course.
- Fully understand the role of an English teacher in a variety of teaching situations and classroom environments that are specific to young learners.
- Use their understanding of the industry to identify and follow up on opportunities for career development.
In order to take this specialized course you need to have already completed a TEFL certification course of at least 120-hours duration, either with ITTT or any other course provider. If you are already TEFL certified and would like to add this extra qualification to your portfolio, you can apply using the following link/form.
If you are yet to complete a TEFL certification course, the best option is to sign up for one of our great value course packages. The course in teaching business English (CTBE) is included in all three of our multi-course options; the 220-hour Master Package, the 470-hour Professional Package, and the 550-hour Expert Package. For full details of these popular course options follow the links below.