Can I get a TEFL job in Hungary via the Central European Teaching Program (CETP)?

As Europe is such a popular destination for teaching English abroad, it can be difficult to find suitable positions in many of the main hotspots such as Spain and Italy due to a high level of competition. If you have no previous teaching experience or you are simply looking to get off the beaten path, the Central European Teaching Program (CETP) that operates in Hungary could be perfect for you.

What do I need to apply for the Central European Teaching Program?

To join the CETP you will need to be a native English speaker from the US, Canada, the UK, or any other EU country. There are no age restrictions with this program, which makes it particularly popular with older teachers who can sometimes find it difficult to find a job in the more crowded European teaching markets. If you make it onto the standard program you will be placed in a local school from September to mid-June. Your contract also includes a one week orientation prior to the start date. If you are looking for a shorter commitment, there are also a smaller number of 6-month contracts available that run from January to June. Unlike many similar programs that are government run, the CETP is a privately operated program which means there is a placement fee required. While this is enough to put some people off the scheme, there are some benefits attached to the program that means it still attracts plenty of applications. Some of the main benefits of the program are as follows:

  • A regular salary that is equal to local coworkers (no income tax is required)
  • National health insurance
  • A private, furnished apartment with all utilities covered
  • Paid holidays
  • Work visa that also allows you to travel across Europe
  • Partners, friends or families can often be placed together

What is the application process for the Central European Teaching Program?

If you want to find out more about the CETP or you want to make an application, you should visit the CETP website for further details. The following documents are required when making an application:

  • TEFL certification that includes at least 20 hours of practical classroom teaching
  • Letter from a doctor confirming your good health (work visa requirement)
  • Notarized copy of your university diploma
  • Background check


Can I get a TEFL job in Hungary via the Central European Teaching Program (CETP)?